Terms and Conditions
for the Month of Darkness Game Jam and Contest
The Month of Darkness Game Jam contest (“Game Jam”) is a game jam contest run by Paradox Interactive AB, Magnus Ladulåsgatan 4, 118 66, Stockholm Sweden (“Paradox” “us/we”).
By participating in the Game Jam you agree to the terms and conditions set out below (“T&C”) and the Dark Pack Agreement (which can be found here: https://www.worldofdarkness.com/dark-pack (“Dark Pack”). In case of any conflict between the aforementioned items, these T&C shall take precedence.
1. The Game Jam runs from October 31, 2021, to November 30, 2021 (“Term”). To participate in the Game Jam you need to have an account at www.itch.io, join the Game Jam, and upload your Game prior to the end of the Term and in accordance with these T&C. After the Term, Paradox will review the eligible Games and in its sole discretion decide on three winners of the Game Jam based on an overall assessment of the Game(s).
a. The first prize of the Game Jame is the right to re-release and publish, in the winner’s own name, the Game as a free-to-play and official World of Darkness game on Steam and reasonable consultation from Paradox’s World of Darkness team on how to best do so in accordance with a mutually and separately agreed agreement between the winner and Paradox. The winner will also win a monetary prize of USD 1,000 as well as digital prizes specified in “d”.
b. The second prize of the Game Jam is a monetary prize of USD 750 as well as digital prizes specified in “d”,
c. The third prize of the Game Jam is a monetary prize of USD 500 as well as digital prizes specified in “d”.
d. Digital prizes include:
- Early access to Hunter: The Reckoning 5th Edition PDF (later delivery – to be provided by Paradox before the book’s release)
- Early access to Vampire: The Masquerade – Second Inquisition sourcebook PDF (later delivery – to be provided by Paradox before the book’s release)
- Digital PDF versions of V5 Corebook, Camarilla, Anarch, Sabbat, Book of Nod, Fall of London, New Blood Starter Pack, Chicago by Night, Chicago Folios, Let The Streets Run Red, Cults of the Blood Gods, Children of the Blood, Trials of Ash and Bone, Forbidden Religions, Companion
- Steam keys for VTM: Coteries of New York, VTM: Shadows of New York, VTM: Night Road, VTM: Parliament of Knives, VTM: Out for Blood
2. Any taxes due on prizes will be paid by the winner.
3. Any participant who attempts to enter or enters the Game Jam in a manner, which in Paradox’s determination is contrary to these rules or by its nature is fraudulent or unjust to other entrants (including tampering with the operation of the Game Jam, hacking, cheating, deception or any other unfair practices such as intending to threaten, annoy, abuse, or harass any other entrants or Paradox and/or any of its agents or representatives, or who submits an illegible or incomplete entry) may be rejected from the Game Jam.
4. During the Term, and subject to complying with these T&C, UGC, and Dark Pack, you are given a personal, limited, non-sublicensable, royalty-free, revocable right and license to use the World of Darkness IP (as defined in the Dark Pack) and its attributed assets to develop a game that can only be made available on www.itch.io (“Game”). The Game must be made during the Term and assets created beforehand can only be used as long as you have the complete right to use them for such purpose.
5. By submitting your Game to the Game Jam you hereby grant to Paradox and its affiliates a non-exclusive, perpetual, irrevocable, transferable, worldwide, sublicensable license to sell, distribute or otherwise exploit, use, host, store, reproduce, modify, create derivative works, publicly perform, publicly display or otherwise transmit and communicate the Game, or any portion of it, in any manner or form and in any medium or forum, whether now known or later developed, without notice, payment or attribution (except as mentioned in these T&C) of any kind to you or any third party.
6. You may not use any assets or intellectual property that Paradox doesn’t own or control, or is contained or attributed to in any product developed by a licensee to Paradox, in the Game, for example, the games “Vampire The Masquerade: Bloodhunt” or “Vampire The Masquerade: Coteries of New York”.
7. The Game must be provided for free and only on www.itch.io. In accordance with the Dark Pack, you are allowed to accept donations for your time and materials through Patreon, Youtube & Twitch subscriptions, or similar services.
8. The Game must include the “Dark Pack Logo” and the following note in the Game menu: “This game was created as a part of Vampire: The Masquerade game jam. Events portrayed in this game are not canon within World of Darkness universe”.
9. After the Term, you may only add accessibility features, translations, and bug fixes to the Game.
10. Paradox retains the right to update these T&C at any time during the Term by publishing a new and updated version.
11. Except for the fact that Paradox hosts the Game Jam on Itch.io, the Game jam is in no way sponsored, administered, endorsed, or associated with itch.io, or any social media platform.
12. In addition to any other rights granted herein, you give Paradox and its affiliates an irrevocable, royalty-free, sub-licensable, unlimited right and license in perpetuity to use screenshots and recordings of the Game Jam for the purpose of marketing the Game Jams as well as any other product or services Paradox or its affiliates provide.
13. These T&C shall be governed by the laws of Sweden, without regard to its rules on conflicts of law. With regard to any disputes arising under this Agreement, the parties hereby submit to the exclusive jurisdiction of the general courts of Stockholm, Sweden.